Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Last Lab Report... WHOOT

I am working on my last lab report of my undergraduate degree. For all of my biological friends and foes out there.... we are all celebrating now! No one quite understand the amount of time, work, and frustration goes into a science degree. My very good friend has been through all of my daunting biology and Chemistry classes. After we experience a day that is beyond ourselves, much like today, she laughs this completely distinctive laugh that echos the offices of the SCI-TECH department so much so that I know anyone reading this from my department knows. I love it in these moments because the absurdity of the expectations and the seemingly insurmountable odds of me making it to friday leave me somewhere between screaming and sobbing. Then that awkward silence is instantly filled with laughter of a friend. That is a true blessing in this world. You know I can't hold back my laughter either. Well, I never really know when to hold back my laughter....

I apologize for not blogging sooner. If you saw my planner, you would wonder why I am now. This is preventative care for future brain explosions. I find myself in a familiar boat with far too many friends who do not wish to be here. I am about to graduate looking for a job. How do you show an employer how hard you work and the motivations of your heart on first glance? Most first impressions are fallacies that should be forgotten. Filling out the application shows how much we have done but nothing about our bull-doggedness or our unwillingness to give up. Sometimes those qualities are more important. Many people have far more obstacles making their life looks like a twisted jungle gym. Others simply walk through their boring life and collect their achievements. How do you tell an employer that you are not boring? Better than that how do you draw a jungle gym on a list of achievements? People are far more beautiful than titles and honors. Even those that have the best grades and accomplishments always have more to them than meets the eye.

Just a thought... I definitely skipped sushi eating to write my lab report so I must continue and regret that decision.

God Bless,
MJ

1 comment:

  1. Mary Jo, you will get a job. Any place that gives you a interview will easily see just how tenacious you are, and will only be able to see this as an asset to their company. I'm glad to hear that despite the massive responsibilities and frustration that comes with your major you are able to find some reasons to smile and laugh.

    You will have plenty of time for sushi after your stuff is done. I guarantee it. :-)

    ReplyDelete